Sunday, December 15, 2013

“Nice Guys Finish Last…”

I had a conversation with a friend the other day about a variety of things relating to our lives. As we were on one of the many topics, one of the euphemisms popped up that I really hate to hear, “That’s why nice guys finish last, Richard”. I loathe this statement because I consider myself part of the “nice guy” criteria. I put other’s feelings in front of myself (most of the time at least, I have my selfish moments from time to time…), I am loyal (even when I shouldn’t be), I take responsibility for things more than I probably should, and I truly care for others. Now I’m not trying to say that I am a great and wonderful perfect person…I just acknowledge some of my characteristics. Anyways…after I talked with my friend, I had some time to think about this expression and how it was relating to things going on in my own life. Up until recently, I had always thought that the nice guy expression was a load of crap because I felt that I was in first place when it came to life, but my recent experiences have really made me sit down to evaluate my feelings on this expression.

I was recently recommended by a couple of my best buds about the show “Chuck”. Anyone that has interacted with me recently (mainly family and close friends) have probably seen me watching marathon runs of the episodes or raving about how good the show is. Now, I know it’s just a TV show and most people actually taking time to read this will think I’m some sort of weirdo, but this show has been a very big help to me recently relating to my dilemma with the “nice guys” issue and my own personal struggles. The show centers around a guy that was lost in life, feeling like he was stuck in a dead-end job and was heading nowhere. Now I don’t want to go through explaining about every plot detail of the show…that’s for you to find out!



Chuck is the epitome of the “nice guy”. When I watch the show, I relate a lot with Chuck because he is always wanting to do what’s best for others, not for himself. I think about Chuck and how this relates to the “nice guys coming last” expression. I love this show because it gives me hope that I don’t need to sacrifice that aspect about myself. I’ve been struggling with whether or not that my personality as a “nice guy” is the cause for the recent events that have been occurring in my life. I realize now more than ever that you should never have to compromise anything about yourself. There may be others that may not appreciate the qualities that make you a great person, but you should never allow them to tear you down.

Which leads me to my next point…just because one’s a “nice guy” doesn’t mean he has to take crap from others when crap’s being dealt. It’s been a learning experience for me and still very much is, but I will speak up when something doesn’t rub me the right way. In the show, Chuck stretches himself as a person by fighting for the people he loves and cares for. I like to think that I do the same as well.

I’m at season 4 right now and I still have the 5th season to get through as well, but I am excited to see how things come out for Chuck.

To wrap this all up together with a nice bow on top. There are those that will take advantage of the kindness of others…but don’t believe for a second that nice guys finish last.

No comments:

Post a Comment